For The Spicy Sizzler Veg:
- 1 chunky green pepper, diced
- 1 chunky red pepper, diced
- 1 chunky red onion, diced
- ½ chunky aubergine, diced
- 1 chunky courgette, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Rajah Coarse Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Rajah Dried Red Chilli - crushed into flakes
- 1 tsp Rajah Whole Coriander Seeds
- 1 green chilli, sliced
For The Pasta Sauce:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Rajah Cumin Seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Rajah Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Rajah Paprika Powder
- 1 tsp Rajah Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Rajah Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Rajah Coriander Powder
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 10-12 leaves ripped basil
For The Pasta:
- 3 cups Penne Pasta
- Boiling water to cover
- Start with preparing the spicy sizzler veg. Preheat your oven to 180°C. In a bowl, mix the Olive oil, salt, black pepper, red chilli flakes, coriander seeds and the sliced green chilli to create a marinade.
- Add the chunky diced vegetables to the oil and shake well to coat the vegetables. Lay the vegetables on a large Tawa/ skillet or griddle pan. If you do not have a Tawa/skillet/ griddle pan, you can use a baking tray instead. Place the spicy sizzler veg in your oven and allow to roast for 20 minutes, shake the veg occasionally so that they char and roast evenly.
- Whilst the vegetables are roasting, prepare the pasta sauce. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add in the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds have sizzled and crackled, add in the crushed garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add in the diced onion and salt and allow to fry on low heat for 10-12 minutes or until soft and buttery.
- Whilst the onions are frying, set your pasta to boil. Place the penne pasta in a saucepan, drizzle over 1 tbsp vegetable oil and top with boiling water so that there is about an inch of water on top of the pasta. Boil the pasta for 10 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water and drizzle with a little more oil. Set the pasta aside until required later.
- Returning to the sauce, once the onions are softened, add in the turmeric, paprika, red chilli, cumin and coriander powders and fry for 1-2 minutes. If the pan starts to get too dry, add in a splash of water to stop the pan from burning.
- Next, stir in the tomato puree and fry for 2 minutes, once mixed through, stir in the chopped tomatoes and sugar and fry for 2 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock and leave to simmer on medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes have fallen apart to form a sauce base.
- By now, the vegetables must be roasted and cooked through. Transfer the roasted vegetables and excess cooking liquid from the vegetables to the sauce. Stir in well and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked pasta into the vegetable sauce and gently fold in so that all the pasta becomes coated in the sauce. The sauce should thicken once the pasta has simmered in the sauce for 3-4 minutes. Once the pasta has been simmered with the sauce garnish with the torn basil leaves and serve.