For the Samosa Chaat:
- 6-8 samosas
- Choley (Recipe below)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 cup Green Chutney (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup sweet tamarind chutney (you can use store-bought tamarind sauce)
- 2-3 tbsp Rajah Chaat Masala
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Fine sev
For the Choley:
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soaked overnight or you can use 2 can of chickpeas.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tbsp Rajah Chana Masala
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Rajah Cumin Seeds
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
For Green Chutney:
- 3/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, washed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, washed
- 2 1/2 cup thick Greek/natural yoghurt
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar/sweetener
- Salt as per taste
- To make the Choley:
- Add the soaked chickpeas to a pressure cooker along with 2-3 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles. Let the pressure come down naturally, set aside. The beans should be soft but still retain their shape.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and temper it with bay leaves and cumin seeds.
- When it crackles add in the onion and sauté until soft and golden brown. Stir in the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Next add int the tomatoes and sauté for 7-8 minutes until soft and mushy.
- Add the Rajah Chana masala along with salt and mix it well with the onion and tomato masala. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas and mix them well with the masala. Add a cup of water and cover and cook on medium-low for 7-8 minutes. Stirring intermittently.
- Take it off the heat and keep it aside.
- To make the Green Chutney:
- Add all the ingredients listed under green chutney in a mixer grinder and whizz it until fine paste.
- It is ready, Keep it aside.
- To assemble the Samosa Chaat:
- First break 1-2 samosas and place them on a plate.
- Top it up with a generous portion of the prepared chole/chana masala.
- Then add 2-3 tbsp of curd along with 1 tbsp of spicy green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Finally layer it with little chopped onion, tomato, coriander leaves and some crispy sev.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.