20 mins + Marinate 30 mins
- 700g skinless chicken breast, skinned, boned and cubed into tikka pieces, approximately 4cm
- 130g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 finger green chillies
- 275ml double cream
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g cashew nuts (made into a thick paste with about 90ml water)
- 1 ½ tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp coriander, chopped for garnishing, optional
Recipe for Desi Slaw
- 1 small white cabbage (700gms before trimming), finely shredded/sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 250g mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp coriander, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the garlic and ginger pastes together and rub on to boneless chicken along with the green chillies and vinegar, then leave to one side.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the cream together with the ground cashews, fenugreek powder, vegetable oil, salt, cheese, cardamom powder and white pepper powder
- Pour the creamy mixture onto the marinated chicken pieces and mix thoroughly. Then leave to marinate for 30 minutes (or overnight for an even better flavour) in the refrigerator.
- When the chicken has marinated well, skewer 4 pieces of chicken on each skewer, place the skewers into an oven tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes on 180°C.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
- Recipe for Desi Slaw:
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, salt, coarse black pepper, red chilli powder, cumin powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Add the shredded cabbage, grated carrots, coriander and spring onions to the spiced mayonnaise and mix well.
- Enjoy with the delicious malai chicken tikka.