Left over apple crumble? Try swirling into your morning porridge, rolling into moreish pinwheels or baking into flaky puff pastry parcels!
For the original apple crumble:
- 5 large apples
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- Pinch of ground cardamom (seeds from 1 green cardamom pod crushed in a pestle & mortar)
- 180g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 100g butter/vegan butter
For the Apple Crumble:
- Core and thinly slice the apples. Lay the apple slices in an oven proof dish.
- In a bowl, mix the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and brown sugar. Sprinkle this over the apples & mix well to coat the apple slices
- To make the crumble, place the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Rub the butter into the mix with your fingers until it resembles wet sand.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the sliced apples.
- Bake in the oven at 170C (fan) for about 30 minutes until the apples are soft and the crumble starting to brown.
- Enjoy warm with a dollop of ice cream, warm custard or as it is.
For the Pastry Parcels:
Any spiced mix left over can be seal inside puff pastry parcels and baked to make pastries. Roll out some ready-made pastry and cut into small rectangles. Place the left-over mix on one side of the pastry and fold over. Seal the edges by pressing well with a form. Brush with egg wash and bake in the oven as per pastry instructions.
For the Pinwheels:
Roll the pastry thinly, spread on the left over crumble mix, roll into a tube and slice to make small pin wheels. Brush with egg wash and bake in the oven until golden. To make a quick icing take 4 tablespoons icing sugar. 1 tablespoon water and ½ tsp cinnamon. Mix well to make a thin icing. Drizzle over the pinwheels before serving. Add a sprinkle of icing sugar too. Top with some flaked almonds.
For the Spiced Crumble Porridge:
First make your porridge by cooking the oats with the milk in a saucepan. Any extra crumble can be stirred in to make apple pie crumble porridge. Add some sultanas or other dried fruits. Save some of the crumble topping to sprinkle on top of your porridge. Add a few chopped walnuts to serve.