- 240g plain flour (sieved)
- 160g caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 4 Bramley cooking apples
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder
- ½ tsp Rajah cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp plain flour
Serving suggestion, custard
- serve with custard, 1 litre
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
- 30g almonds and pistachios, chopped or crushed
- sprig of mint, garnish, optional
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a suitable oven dish (e.g. a 20cm round or square baking dish at least a few cm deep).
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, add the caster sugar and mix.
- Rub in the butter cubes until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and leave to one side.
- Peel, core and cut apple into 1cm pieces and put into a bowl.
- Sprinkle in the soft brown sugar, a tablespoon of flour, green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder, mix well.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the bottom of the oven dish.
- Sprinkle the crumble onto the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Whilst crumble is baking, heat the custard gently over a low heat, mix in the green cardamom powder, crushed almonds and pistachios together, cook through.
- Serve apple crumble with the delicious custard