Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 250 grams paneer, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, (roughly chopped)
- 5 large red juicy tomatoes, finely chopped (you can also use 1 can of plum tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 12-15 Cashew nuts
- 1-2 tsp Rajah Chilli powder
- 1 inch Rajah Cinnamon/Cassia
- 3 Rajah Green Cardamoms
- 3-4 Rajah Cloves
- 2 Rajah Bay leaves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar/honey/sweetener (you can adjust the amount of sugar or honey as per your taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp Rajah Garam Masala
- 2 tsp KasooriMethi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 5 tbsp butter plus 1 tbsp for frying the paneer pieces
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Paneer Butter Masala/Paneer Makhani
- Heat 4 tbsp butter in a thick bottomed pan on medium heat and add the black cardamoms, green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon and fry for few seconds until it's fragrant.
- Next add in the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat until soft and translucent.
- Then add the ginger- garlic paste and continue to sauté for a minute or two until the raw smell disappears.
- Now toss in the chopped tomatoes along with some salt and red chilli powder and fry on medium heat for around 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are broken down and the oil starts to separate from the tomatoes.
- Add the cashew nuts and sauté for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Meanwhile in another pan add 1 tbsp of butter and sauté the paneer pieces until golden brown on all sides. (you can totally skip this step and add the paneer in the sauce ad it is).
- In a blender or food processor add these cooked tomato sauce along and 1/2 cup water and blend it into a puree to achieve that restaurant-style silky smooth sauce.
- Now in the same pan add one tbsp of butter and add bay leaves and the pureed tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. Add 1-1 1/2 cup of hot water to the sauce to achieve the desired consistency of the sauce and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, add salt if required and the sugar/honey, garam masala to the sauce and continue simmering the sauce for another 5 minutes.
- Next add the paneer, heavy cream and KasooriMethi to the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Take it off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve it with Naan or Jeera rice.