Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- For The Jerk Salmon Fillet:
- 4 salmon fillets, descaled and deboned
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 shallot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 ginger, peeled (thumb-sized piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chilli, stalk removed
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Rajah Jerk Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Rajah Coarse Black pepper
- 1 tsp Rajah Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For The Chilli & Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 lime
- 5-6 stems mint, roughly chopped, leaves picked off
- 1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- For the Sweet Potato Wedges:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Jerk Salmon Fillet with Peppered Sweet Potato Wedges
- Start by making the Jerk marinade. In a food processor blend together the shallot, ginger, garlic, scotch bonnet chilli, the vegetable oil, the juice of the lime, the brown sugar and the salt. Once the ingredients have come together to form a paste, add in the Jerk seasoning, paprika powder, dried thyme and coarse black pepper powders. Stir well to form a marinade
- Place the salmon fillets in a mixing bowl and smother with the marinade. Leave the fish refrigerated to marinate.
- Whilst the salmon is marinating, prepare the sweet potato wedges. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Tip the sweet potato wedges onto a tray and drizzle over the olive, salt and pepper, shake the tray to coat the wedges and place in your preheated oven to roast for 30-35 minutes or until the wedges are cooked through. Shake the tray occasionally to prevent the wedges from sticking to the pan.
- Whilst the salmon is marinating, prepare the mango salsa. In a mixing bowl mix together the diced mango, red onion, red chilli, roughly chopped mint and the juice of 1 lime. Add salt and pepper to taste. Leave the salsa in your fridge to keep chilled.
- Once the potatoes are almost cooked through, cook the Jerk salmon fillets, you can cook them by grilling, barbecuing or frying. For a smoky flavour, it is best to use a hot griddle pan, char for 4 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a salmon fillet on a plate, accompanied with the sweet potato wedges and spoon on some of the mango salsa.