Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 220g squid rings, defrosted
- 50g plain flour
- 20g corn flour
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Sprinkle Garnish:
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chaat masala
- 3-4 tbsp masala mayo for dipping (optional)
- wedge of lemon, garnish (optional)
- handful of micro herbs, garnish (optional)
Desi Squid Tempura
- Start off by completely patting dry the squid and leaving it to one side.
- Mix together the plain flour and corn flour and add the red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and white pepper to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Take half of the squid rings and add to the spiced flour mixture, toss the flour over the rings using your hands to coat and lift the rings out of the flour which will drop off excessive flour, then put straight into deep fry the squid.
- Deep fry at 175°C for 3-4 minutes until rings begin to turn golden and are crisp (do not over fry or they will become rubbery).
- Repeat this process for the remaining squid.
- Combine all the sprinkle garnish ingredients together and toss over the cooked squid rings whilst crisp and hot.
- Enjoy with masala mayo.