Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 cups long grain rice (preferably basmati rice, washed and soaked for 20 minutes)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup green peas
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1-2 Rajah Bay Leaves
- 2x1 inch Rajah Cinnamon/Cassia
- 3-4 Rajah Green Cardamoms
- 4-5 Rajah Cloves
- 20-22 cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar/sweetener
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp ghee/oil (ghee preferably)
- 4 cups hot water
Coconut Carrot Pilaf
- Heat a tava/skillet on low heat and dry roast the desiccated coconut until you get a nutty aroma, and the coconut slowly starts to turn golden. Remove it from the pan, make sure it doesn't burn.
- Drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee/oil in a large deep pan/kadhaiwith a tightly fitted lid on medium heat and temper it with bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves.
- Sauté until you get a lovely aroma of the spices.
- Then add in the green peas and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the rice and mix it well with the spices and green peas. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the salt and sugar and mix. Pour the hot water and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through.
- After 15 minutes check if the rice is properly cooked. if it still seems uncooked, cover, and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the flame. Now add in the desiccated coconut, grated carrot and lemon juice and slowly mix it with the rice. Do not over mix.
- Serve it with the curry or dal of your choice.