Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 60 min
- 550g chicken, skinless, on or off the bone, thigh or breast, 4cm pieces
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g carrots, sliced, ½ cm thick
- 200g mushrooms, sliced, ½ cm thick
- 300g potato, peeled, diced, 2 ½ cm cubes
- 220g tomatoes, blanched, peeled and puréed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- ½ tbsp garlic paste
- 1 small finger green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 850ml water, boiling hot warm
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Rajah turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Rajah red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Rajah garam masala
- 1 tsp Rajah cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coarse Rajah black pepper
- ½ tsp Rajah Ground Black pepper
- French baguette, sliced and buttered to serve with, optional
- herbs to garnish, optional
- Crumble the stock cube into boiling hot water and mix thoroughly to prepare stock.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan, add the Rajah cumin seeds and green chilli and sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add coarse Rajah black pepper, onions and garlic and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the onions are golden and caramelised.
- Mix in the ginger and garlic pastes together and cook for 2 minutes before adding the tomatoes and tomato purée.
- Add the Rajah turmeric, Rajah red chilli, salt and Rajah black pepper powder and cook the masala sauce for about 10-12 minutes until it begins to change colour and sizzle.
- Add the chicken pieces and stock and cook for 5 minutes. Tip: Add a splash of water to prevent it from sticking or drying at any stage.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for 6 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the Rajah garam masala, coriander and water and simmer for 8-10 minutes on a medium to high heat.
- The soup shall start to thicken and once it becomes somewhat gravy like boil for an extra 4-5 minutes and take off from the heat.
- Serve with a few slices of buttered French baguette.