Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 120g coarse semolina
- 90g butter or ghee
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp green cardamom, finely crushed
- 120g sugar
- 450ml water
- handful of whole pistachios, shells removed, halved or crushed
Chocolate Suji Halwa
- Begin by pouring the water and sugar into one saucepan and leave to boil on a low heat.
- In a separate saucepan melt the butter or ghee and then add the semolina into the butter or ghee.
- Cook the mixture until golden brown and until an intense buttery smell starts to release from the mixture (this should take about 10 minutes).
- When the semolina mixture is cooked, add the cocoa powder and green cardamom powder and then reduce the heat and add the sugar water (which should be boiling by now) to the semolina, mix vigorously until the texture starts to thicken (lower the heat if the mixture starts spitting too much).
- Cook for a further two minutes until the semolina begins to stop sticking to the edges of the pan (this is when you know it is done), remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the chocolate halwa with the pistachios and enjoy.