Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 220g ready fresh puff pastry or frozen and defrosted
- 580g chicken breast or thigh, cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Rajah cumin seeds
- 1 small finger green chilli, finely chopped
- 250g mixed peppers
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 100g plum peeled tomatoes, puréed
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- ½ tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Rajah red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Rajah turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Rajah Garlic and Coriander Seasoning
- 25g butter
- 180ml double cream
- ½ tsp Rajah garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 egg, beaten
Chicken Makhani Pie
- Start off by pre-heating the oven to 190°C.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the Rajah cumin seeds, sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the green chilli, ginger paste and garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add the plum peeled tomatoes, Rajah turmeric, salt, Rajah red chilli, Rajah garlic and coriander seasoning, butter and water to the saucepan and cook the masala for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally on a low-medium heat.
- Once the masala sauce begins to sizzle and is a deep orange or brown in colour, add the chicken pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers to the saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the double cream, add the Rajah garam masala and fresh chopped coriander and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour the filling into a pie dish (approximately 20 x 25cm) and leave to one side.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of two one-pound coins and cover the pie dish with the pastry. Use a rolling pin to help if need be to lift the pastry over the pie.
- Gently press the edges down with your fingers and trim the sides with a sharp knife. You may want to use the extra pastry for garnish shapes for the middle of the pie.
- Brush lightly with the egg to glaze and bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry has risen and is dark golden brown. Serve hot.