Aubergines in an Aromatic Tamarind Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 8-10 small aubergines
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Rajah mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Rajah cumin
- 1 tsp Rajah ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Rajah chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Rajah turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 2 tsp ginger puree
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- Coconut cream
- A few coriander leaves for garnish, washed and chopped
- A few curry leaves
- Make two cross slits on the base of each of the aubergines and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the salt over them and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan or a deep wok. Tip in the oil. Add the Rajah mustard seeds and curry leaves and mix.
- After they have crackled, put in the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the Rajah cumin, Rajah coriander, Rajah chilli powder and Rajah turmeric and mix. Then add garlic and ginger along with the aubergines.
- Pour in 200ml of hot water with the tamarind and mix. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the coconut cream and cook for two minutes more.
- Serve hot with lemon rice or chapattis.